Whalsay Golf Club was formed in 1976 by 12 members and is Britain’s most northerly 18-hole golf course.
The Laird and his family first played golf in Whalsay from the 1850’s until before World War II. This was on the grounds near the “Haa” at the other end of the island.
Club membership has increased rapidly over the years. The club received various small grants for grass cutting machinery and until about 1989 club members did all work on the course on a voluntary basis. In 1989 18 new tees were built and the course was recognised by Scottish Golf Union in 1990. In 1992 the ladies course was recognised and some new greens were introduced. A green keeper was employed in 1994 and the new clubhouse was built in 1996 when the club purchased some land. Various course improvements were carried out from 1997 to 2003.
The club was delighted to have been part of the Natwest Inter Island Games, held in Shetland in 2005.
The annual inter county golf match vs Orkney match is held in Whalsay every four years and the club is also host to the Wilson cup every eight years.